An object that has a touch or Vector and a form of Raster is the Smart Object Photoshop. You can convert any abject into smart but the characteristics depend on the image’s original form. However, vector format files are always smart with resizing. The usage of the smart object is quite reasonable for the quality of a project file.
Professional photo editors can make good use of the smart object in Photoshop. The image source, added effects, or resizing capacity, all are present in that. Moreover, you can make changes to the effects that you may add during editing. Well, if you convert the object into Raster form, no details will be available.
What is a Smart Object Photoshop?
The smart object is a Photoshop option applicable for an image or object in a layer. Adobe says, “Smart Objects are layers that contain image data from raster or vector images, such as Photoshop or Illustrator files.” you can preserve the original form of an image along with all the details you apply to that. You can create smart object Photoshop with just a simple operation.
But, to get the full advantage of the term, it is better to use the RAW image. Despite all the facilities of a smart object, it is limited to surface editing like specific area modification. But, if you apply other effects such as Hue/Saturation, Curves, Levels, etc. it is alright. One mentionable part is, if you save a project file, make sure to keep one in PSD. Otherwise, you will lose detailed history along with the object’s effects.
Opening an image as a Smart Object;
- Import file as a Smart Object in the open Photoshop program
- From the home screen of Photoshop, select the file and right-click on that to choose “Open As Smart Object”
- From lightroom, do necessary changes and right-click on the image and select, Edit in>Open As Smart Object in Photoshop.
- Directly drag and drop an image in the existing Photoshop document and you will have it as a Smart Object
Characteristics of a smart object
Speaking of the nature of the smart object, there are some characteristics we should learn about. Well, you may need to do surface editing if required before you convert smart object to layer. And, as you work on the smart object you will have a nondestructive editing option in specific adjustments
But, when you rasterize smart objects, all the editing you did earlier stays without a further editing option. Also, you cannot have the advantages that you have got before. So, let’s learn about the characteristics of a smart object;
- Transformation is nondestructive. The original object form stays intact whether you resize, rotate, scale, skew, distort, or wrap.
- The smart object works better with Vector format data. Well, without converting to smart, you can use other effects on Vector as well. You can rasterize the file in Photoshop without any difficulty.
- Filters applied to the smart object are editable. You can apply any kind of filter whether that is from the Filter menu or new fill, the editing option is open.
- The smart objects can be modifiable during project works. Just double-click on the object icon from the layer panel and you will have it in a new tab in Photoshop. Before closing this, make sure to save that or you will lose any changes made here.
- You can link up or unlink the layer mask to the Smart Object layer.
- The resize facility is advanced with the Smart Object. You can make small at your will and return to the original size. Well, if you enlarge more than the original size, the smart object will be pixilated.
Why Do You Need the Smart Object Photoshop?
The smart object is necessary for the nondestructive and advanced operations that we already know. Furthermore, you can use the Camera RAW filter if the original document comes RAW. So, you can make changes to the options or sliders anytime you think it is necessary. As for the touchups such as brushing or retouching, remember, “Smart Object not directly editable.” However, you still have the option to do such editing by rasterizing the layer and convert to a smart object again. But, it is better to do effect addition before converting to a raster format. Or, do necessary touchups after rasterizing it and no plan to convert to the Smart Object.
Smart Object photoshop is an option that has many advantages except for some limitations. And, it is possible to overcome the limitations by conversion. Just, right-click on the document layer and choose, “Convert to Smart Object.” We have discussed some of the major highlights of Photoshop Smart Object. Still, you have the option to visit the Adobe webpage to learn more intimately about this. So, lean and implement to create big differences in photo editing.
What is a Smart Object in Photoshop?
Ans: Smart Object in Photoshop has various characteristics that you can learn from the content above. In short, you can have effects and settings intact with the object. But, you cannot do brushing, cloning, or healing the object without converting rasterizing it.
What is the Vector Smart Object?
Ans: A Vector Smart Object means an object that is made by line drawing and color dropping. The drawing comes out of mathematically connected anchor points and is free for resizing. Well, a basic Vector object is more convenient for enlargement than a Vector Smart object.